The default Windows 8 border thickness is too thick for desktop and laptop users. You can make the border thinner, matching the Windows 7 style.
- Make this change only on desktop and laptop computers.
- For some people this change may not be recommended on touch-screens - the border may be too thin for accurate finger placement. This is easily tested.
1. From the Start Page, "other-mouse-click" the background (or swipe from bottom).
Click "All Apps"
3. In the Registry Editor, locate this key on the tree-side:
4. On the detail side, change these two values:
BorderWidth from -15 to 0 (zero)
PaddedBorderWidth from -60 to 0 (zero)
|Click for larger view|
6. Reboot. You must reboot to see the change.
Launch any standard desktop application, such as Notepad; Confirm border width / thickness.
To undo this change, return the two values to their previous value (documented above) and reboot.
Unfortunately, this registry change can only be made in the Current User Registry key and cannot be made in the HKLM key. Because of this, it must be made for each new user in the system.
This key can be changed in the Default User's key but this will only help new users added to the system (Keyliner, untested).