- Android does not receive SMS or MMS messages using Google Hangouts.
- The phone's native SMS app behaves the same as Hangouts, it does not show messages.
- Android can successfully send SMS and MMS messages.
- The people sending the SMS messages do not see errors; the message appears to send properly.
This solution worked on my phone (4.4.4) and I am using Google Hangouts. These settings are not available on the phone's native SMS application.
1. On the Android device, open Google Hangouts.
2. Click the System Menu (the "hamburger" 3-bar menu icon) from within Hangouts main screen.
3. Choose "Settings"
4. Choose "SMS" from the menu
5. Choose "Default SMS Messaging Account"
6. Change from "your email@example.com" to "SMS only account"
Have your Apple or Android friends send either an SMS or MMS message. All should be well. Note: You cannot receive MMS messages while talking on the phone.