Thursday, April 1, 2010

Setting Wallpaper in Windows 7 Starter Edition

Howto: Set the Wallpaper in Windows 7 Starter Edition - No solution

The Windows 7 Starter edition disabled the "Set Wallpaper" control panel for OEM and branding reasons (e.g. Dell Inspiron 1011).

After much research, I've not found a good way to resolve this problem and you are stuck with the default wallpaper. (I wonder what Microsoft Marketing people are thinking when they do something as idiotic as this?)

The previous article-content has been pulled because the latest Microsoft Patches have apparently destroyed the solutions I had found. Many websites recommend this program:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/47294-desktop-background-change-windows-7-starter.html

I have heard mixed results, depending on various Microsoft patches and it appears this is not a perfect solution and I am not recommending it. I am unable to test this myself because I no longer use the Starter edition. Your comments on this are welcome. If you find a way to set the wallpaper, please leave a note (no registration required). Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Anon: Thanks for the comments on this. This is the one article I've written where I could not actually test the code (as I did not have the problem). The first solution, I've also learned, has failed with the latest Windows patches.

    Because of these reasons, I've pulled this article.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and published upon review.